Healthy Texas Women provides a variety of women’s health and family planning services, including:
- Pregnancy testing
- Pelvic examinations
- Sexually transmitted infection services
- Breast and cervical cancer screenings
- Clinical breast examination
- Screening and treatment for cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure
- HIV screening
- Long-acting reversible contraceptives
- Oral contraceptive pills
- Permanent sterilization
- Other contraceptive methods such as condoms, diaphragm, vaginal spermicide, and injections
- Screening and treatment for postpartum depression
The HTW program now offers enrolled women an enhanced postpartum services package called HTW Plus. To qualify for HTW Plus benefits, HTW clients must have been pregnant within the last 12 months.
HTW Plus services focus on treating major health conditions that contribute to maternal morbidity and mortality in Texas, including:
- Postpartum depression and other mental health conditions (services include individual, family and group psychotherapy services and peer specialist services).
- Cardiovascular and coronary conditions (services include imaging studies; blood pressure monitoring; and anticoagulant, antiplatelet and antihypertensive medications).
- Substance use disorders, including drug, alcohol and tobacco misuse (services include screenings, brief interventions, treatment referrals, outpatient substance use counseling, smoking cessation services, medication-assisted treatment and peer specialist services).
This program pays only for the services listed above. If a health condition such as cancer is found, you will be referred to a doctor or clinic that can treat you. If you are pregnant, you will be referred to a program such as Medicaid for Pregnant Women. You might have to pay for those extra services.
If you are currently enrolled in Medicaid for Pregnant Women, you may be automatically enrolled in the HTW program when your coverage ends. If you are eligible, you will receive a letter from Texas Health and Human Services confirming you have been enrolled in the HTW program. If you have questions about your enrollment, call 2-1-1 or visit the YourTexasBenefits website, where you can manage your account.
Find an HTW Doctor
*To learn more about mental health services covered in HTW or HTW Plus, please visit the HTW Benefits page.